Mate under 500GT
Course Description: This course is designed to teach you to be the understudy to the Chief Officer, specifically responsible for the navigation of the vessel, and keeps charts and publications up to date. The 2nd Officer produces the passage plan for the ship, for approval by the Master. Other duties include monitoring the navigation and radio equipment on the bridge, undertaking the watch when at sea, and the cargo watch when in port. If there are cadets on board, the 2nd Officer may also be the designated training officer. The 2nd Officer (but sometimes one of the other officers) may also be the designated security, safety, environmental or medical officer.
Learning Objectives: The SAMSA matrix prescribes that the learner should have the following knowledge and practical skills at the end of the course:
- Navigate vessel at the management level
- Handle and stow cargo and / or catch (fish) at the management level
- Manage shipboard operations and care for persons on board
- Conduct ship’s master’s business
- Manage ship’s handling and manoeuvring
- Manage shipboard security procedures and contingency plans at an operational level
- Develop and manage personnel
Duration: +/- 65 Days
Entry Requirements: English Proficiency and SAMSA Requirements
Additional Requirements: None
SAMSA Classifications: Mate <500GT Near Coastal STCW A–II/3
Accreditation: Accreditation through SAMSA. STCW 78 as amended in 2010 with the Manila amendments.
STCW Code: Section A-II/2
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.