ECDIS Generic Course
Course Description: Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS) means a navigation information system which, with adequate back up arrangements, can be accepted as complying with the up-to-date chart required by regulation V/19 & V/27 of the 1974 SOLAS Convention, by displaying selected information from navigation sensors to assist the mariner in route planning and route monitoring, and by displaying additional navigation-related information if required. The SSTG Simulation adds realism to the course as all events take place in real time, but in the safety of a training environment.
Learning Objectives: The SAMSA matrix prescribes that the learner should have the following knowledge and practical skills at the end of the course:
- Describe the legal aspects and responsibilities in the use of ECDIS;
- State the main characteristics & principal types of electronic charts;
- Explain all safety aspects and errors, inaccuracies & ambiguities caused by improper data management;
- Explain the main characteristics of ECDIS data & select proper information for navigational tasks;
- Describe the performance limits of sensors and assess their impact on use of ECDIS;
- Operate all basic and specific functions and obtain information for route planning;
- Explain the potential errors of displayed data, errors of interpretation, & possible dangers of other navigational functions, and take proper action during voyage monitoring;
- Apply updates and assess the importance of updating;
- Explain alarms & indications, voyage documentation and integrity monitoring;
- Explain the necessity of; and demonstrate the performance of back-up systems; and
- Explain why ECDIS should not be relied upon as the sole aid to navigation.
Duration: 5 Days
Entry Requirements: Mathematics at Grade 10 or previous ENS or any Certificate of Competence or proof of Chartwork completed.
Additional Requirements: None
Accreditation: Accreditation through SAMSA. STCW 78 as amended in 2010 with the Manila amendments. Certificate is valid for a life-time.
STCW Code: A-II/1 & A-II/2
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.