Advanced Fire Fighting Refresher (including Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting – Refresher)
Course Description: The course is designed to form part of the mandatory basic safety training for all seafarers with designated safety duties. It deals with the precautions to be taken to minimise the risk of fires on-board ships, the way in which fires are caused, and the first aid means of extinguishing them.
R2,300.00 – R2,600.00
Learning Objectives: The SAMSA matrix prescribes that the learner should have the following knowledge and practical skills at the end of the course:
- Use fire fighting organization, tactics and command procedures at sea and in port
- Use water for fire extinguishing and under the effects on stability
- Communication and coordination during fire fighting operations
- Utilize ventilation controls to limit spread of fire and limit, or extract smoke
- Utilize fuel and electrical system controls to limit spread of fire and reduce hazards to fire fighters
- Understand fire fighting process hazards
- Understand fire fighting involving dangerous goods
- Fire precautions and hazards for storing and handling materials
- Manage and control of injured persons involving fire-related injuries & illnesses
- Procedures for coordination with shore-based fire fighters
- Preparation of contingency plans, and composition and allocation of fire parties
- Strategies and tactics for control of fires in various parts of the ship
- Inspecting and servicing fire detection systems
- Requirements for statutory and classification surveys, and assessment of causes of incidents involving fire
Duration: 2 Days
Entry Requirements: Valid Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting Certificate required.
Additional Requirements: The learner should be physically fit and not suffer from any medical conditions. (This course can be strenuous).
Accreditation: Accreditation through SAMSA. STCW 78 as amended in 2010 with the Manila amendments. Certificate should be renewed every 5 years.
STCW Code: STCW A-VI/3 & Section A-VI/1-2
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.